Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It's happening so fast!

Yesterday I got a call from the chronic pain program. Someone cancelled their appointment today and they asked if I could come in. I said yes of course! My original appointment was made for sometime in July, so the sooner the better right? Well, I'm nervous. I really need this program. I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life for pain.  The elavil has really alleviated some of my tension and pain, but it's only been a month! What if it wears off???? What if i'm back to where I was and it hurts to do anything? I find myself here and there with random aches and pains and get all depressed that I can feel it. I get scared, the fibro is peeking through and trying to harm me.

 I hate Fibro. I really, really do. I don't understand it, but I'm glad that i know what i have. It's  better than being told "oh it's just your back" "you have scoliosis" bla bla bla...People must  have thought i was crazy when i was telling them my arm hurt, my knees hurt, my foot randomly hurt, my neck, my hands...etc...I felt like my body was trying to kill me. Honestly, that's what i thought was happening.

I get that some people don't understand what I'm going through. Some people don't understand Fibromyalgia. People who have known me for a while and witnessed my back pain and anything else are still confused because they thought it was just a back problem. Me too...that's what i thought too. But it always felt like more. And this year I think it really became more. Somehow everything got magnified, such as anxiety and pain.

Well here are some links and some facts about Fibromyalgia. I know it's hard for people to understand what a person with Fibromyalgia is going through, but as I believe, through education we can all understand better and be more sympathetic to those going through this annoying and sometimes debilitating disorder.

The following is from Pubmedhealth

Symptoms

Pain in the main symptom of fibromyalgia. It may be mild to severe.
  • Painful areas are called tender points. Tender points are found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees. The pain then spreads out from these areas.
  • The pain may feel like a deep ache, or a shooting, burning pain.
  • The joints are not affected, although the pain may feel like it is coming from the joints.
People with fibromyalgia tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. For some patients, pain improves during the day and gets worse at night. Some patients have pain all day long.
Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.
Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia. Many say that they can't get to sleep or stay asleep, and they feel tired when they wake up.
Other symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Memory and concentration problems
  • Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
  • Palpitations
  • Reduced ability to exercise
  • Tension or migraine headaches

     The following is from the MayoClinic

    Definition

    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.
    Symptoms sometimes begin after a physical trauma, surgery, infection or significant psychological stress. In other cases, symptoms gradually accumulate over time with no single triggering event.
    Women are much more likely to develop fibromyalgia than are men. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have tension headaches, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety and depression.
    While there is no cure for fibromyalgia, a variety of medications can help control symptoms. Exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures also may help. 

     For More information than i can actually cover in this blog, please visit the National Fibromyalgia Association's website


     Well, wish me luck. I'll be leaving about noonish to check on Bella and give her some hugs before my appointment at 1 pm. I have a little headache, poo...I hope you all have a great day! hugs and stuff.




No comments: