Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Should I spay or should she go home now....

ok,  so that's just a play off a Clash song.

I am having a hard time trying to find a reasonably priced spay for this puppy. And it's funny how many clinics are pro pre-4 months spaying and some want to wait until 4 months. While I understand both sides of the argument, I don't know these people well enough to say, "yup they're going to fix her as she hits 4 months old." Spaying at an early age is pretty common in the rescue and shelter world and I, personally,  think it's a good idea. You can't take that chance/ 

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to breed their dogs anyway? 
Unless your dog can grow wings and save the world from aliens, I don't see why your "cute" dog should be bred. Too many dogs need homes, too many puppy mills and backyard breeders thinking they know what they're doing when TWO cute dogs make puppies-6 or 8  or more.....and then what? Just because you think your dog's cute, doesn't mean the whole world does too...I just don't understand breeding a dog. I guess for guide dogs and the such, rules are very specific, but still it makes me wonder....

So that's the current complication; finding a spay. I'm hoping that the SF ASPCA has an opening this week or early next. I'd really like to save the family some money.

All of this has made me super stressed out and lack of sleep has led me to insanity, lucky for me the pup slept all night in her crate. I feel better knowing she has a home to go to, once this is all done.  I really don't know how these rescues do it, but I am so happy that they exist. I appreciate the work that the humane society's and ASPCA's in our counties and cities do, but rescues are usually a couple of people hanging on by a thread to do what they feel is right for an animal in need. They can only do what they can with the help of foster parents.

So can i/will i do this again? yes. Now, probably not, but i'll probably eat those words.

I definitely need more space and time. I guess my goal as a human being not only to help animals, but also help train them and of course give them affection and love, without my own animals feeling left out.  It's so hard.

I respect rescues so much for what they do and all of you should too. Anytime you see a rescue asking for a donation, try to give them something. If you can't offer money then buy dog toys, old blankets, towels, bowls, dog/cat food. Have extra wood scraps? make something with some carpet and wood that a cat could claw at or perch on. It's the little things people! And as one lady said when i was reaching out for help, she said "No kind gesture goes unnoticed." She made me tear up, because I felt awful. But i am looking at this situation now and telling myself, we did the right thing and we found the right home and we're headed in the right direction. 

so pull together people. do something kind for what ever you believe in.
hugs.

No comments: