Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like....

THE HOLIDAYS! and i'm getting all snozzy and snuddily. I made those words up sooooo....basically i'm excited. I have always loved this time of year. I'm happy.
  • Here's a really good article about the myths of exercise and weight loss by spark people. It's a good article that will remind you the benefits of exercise and the simple truths of it all.
  • Ok, turkey will be purchased today! Super excited about this, because I want some turkey...I want the house to smell like a roasting turkey. mmmmm...this is going to be delicioous
My turkey recipe is pretty simple:pretty much cover the top with a really good bacon-when i first made my turkey i used crappy bacon and it still worked. this time i'm using some fine bacon so we'll see what happens-I also get the legs because I don't want them to burn or get too dry. get the wings too while you're at it. This pretty much will cover and butter or oil you may put on the turkey because bacon is filled with juicy fat. yum. This turkey isn't for the health conscious...no turkey really is this type of year. bwahahahaha. yes evil laugh. anyway, I don't really season it because the turkey and the bacon have a nice love making session in the oven for hours. Roast turkey for appropriate time.
Roasting times are for a preheated 325 degrees F. oven.

Approximate Roasting Times for Stuffed Turkey
Turkey Weight
Hours
6 to 8 pounds3 to 3-1/2 hours
8 to 12 pounds3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours
12 to 16 pounds4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours
16 to 20 pounds5-1/2 to 6 hours
20 to 24 pounds6 to 6-1/2 hours
Approximate Roasting Times for Unstuffed Turkey
Turkey Weight
Hours
6 to 8 pounds2-1/2 to 3 hours
8 to 12 pounds3 to 4 hours
12 to 16 pounds4 to 5 hours
16 to 20 pounds5 to 5-1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds5-1/2 to 6 hours
Remember to have a meat thermometer and to let the turkey stand for about 20-30 minutes. IT will keep cooking. All poultry should be cooked to 165! Thigh should read 180.
I do stuff my turkey and i have used stove top stuffing and guess what it tastes amazing. This year I'm doing it again, but adding raw sausage. (When I remove the turkey i will destuff it and bake it with my non stuffed stuffing for about 30 minutes.)  I will baste with the natural juices that will come from the turkey itself AND chicken broth. Cooking a turkey is simple. You don't need bags or anything, just baste keep an eye on it and if you need to cover it with foil do so. But remember basting is important. Have fun with it!
  • i get to go to the Embarcadero on Friday! I've never been! I'm excited and i can't wait to see fireworks! Thanks Boss for letting me go home early that day! I hope we can have a real good time doing lots of fun stuffs in the city.
Well i think that's enough for today. I'll tell ya some recipes as we get closer to turkey day of other yummy ideas that go with your bird! Have a great day!!!

No comments: